Skip to main content

WHERE DO YOU RESIDE?


There is this place called "All-About-Me-Ville" and it's growing population is astounding. I should know, I was nestled there for years. I lived right on the corner of Self Ave. and Centered Drive. (LOL) Okay, so you see where i am going with today's blog. Here's the real deal - I moved out of that zone about a year ago. It took several steps for me to officially awaken and grasp the concept of what life would be like if I took a bow on the stage of life and allowed the spot light to shine onto someone else's performance for a while. Truth be told, it was the most freeing sensation I have ever experienced!!!! The irony today is that I run into individuals that still patrol those streets on the daily and I cannot help but bounce back and forth between dumbfounded and frustrated. Not sure if you're one of the residents? Or perhaps you wonder if you have crossed paths with a narcissist? Here is how you can tell:
1) Do you find yourself having to repeat things often? As if their ability to retain information is a struggle? It probably is hard for them to remember things, but that is because it is not about them.
2) When you speak, are they clearly distracted by other thoughts or looking down at their cell phone, engaging in other social exchanges mid-conversation with you?
3) Are you often interrupted? Literally, mid-sentence as if they cannot get out their own personal thoughts and feelings fast enough.
4) When you share a story, do they immediately take that story and trace it back to themselves for a "point of reference" ?
5) Do they make efforts to not just ask how you are doing but actually listen for the response? Or maybe you are just greeted with their list of problems and/or brags as a form of hello?
6) .....how many social media accounts? Really.
7) ....are we talking like Facebook post THROUGHOUT the day, not just a daily post?
8) Selfies. Enough said.
Okay, okay, I am standing down and taking my seat now. Just something i am throwing into the air today. Why? Because I was able to answer EACH one of those questions with an embarrassing "yes." (((I shudder.)))) The magic in this all is that when I am faced with another being who happily sits on their front porch of Me-Town, I am able to recognize myself in his/her behavior as if they were holding up a mirror. It keeps me grounded, balanced, and humble, often reminding me that EVERYONE is on a journey. And, It is not a race. It's just a long long longggg road. Smile and be patient. They will catch up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMOTIONAL SNEEZE

Okay, so imagine you're minding your own business, out in the world. Perhaps at line in a local coffee shop, buying up some sunrise caffeine in a cup. Or maybe, you're at work, sitting quietly at your desk. Either way, with your eyes closed, imagine the calm. You're just....chillin. Okay, wait, open your eyes, there's more to read. LOL Where am I going with this? Well, there you are, in your own space, when BAM!!! Someone walks up and sneezes all over you. I  mean alllll over you! A giant sneeze. (((gasp)))) Ewwww. Grossed out? Horrified? Do you feel violated? Now, replace the "sneeze" with "complaining." This is what it feels like to be an empath on the day to day. It's social edict to greet a friend, stranger, co-worker, etc, with a smile, a quick hello, or often a "how ya doing today?" And most of the time, people can't wait tell you. In my experience, it's rarely positive and I can't help but almost always regret...

REIKI vs. READING

As my Reiki practice continues to grow strong, I find myself more than ever, hyper-focused on the client in front of me. My intent is not just to help them feel more at ease, relaxed, and tranquil, but to assist them in unblocking any old energies that may be stuck and hindering their natural, healthy, organic energy flow. I aim to clear away old emotional baggage, balance & activate their main Chakra points, and leave them feeling refreshed and recharged. ( My favorite is the white light bubble of protection....but that's another blog.) (((wink))) This past weekend, after a session with one of my Reiki clients, I could not deny the overwhelming sensation of depletion. I felt exhausted in a way that I have not felt during other sessions. After crashing into a full afternoon nap, I woke with curiosity and reached out to a couple fellow Reiki Practitioners for advice.One conversation really struck my soul and changed my perception, permanently... Since day 1, almost a year ...

MIRROR MIRROR, NOT ON MY WALL

Imagine you are the caretaker of a toddler. A toddler who in a fit of rage, throws themselves down on the floor, acting out in complete tantrum mode. Would you join this tiny human for you're own fist-to-floor pounding and excessive screaming? No. I mean, I am sure there are moments you may feel like mirroring that behavior, but surely, you would not. Our "grown-up" approach should be no different when handling those around us, regardless of age . It is important to pay close attention to self and the energy vortex that surrounds you. Dramatic? Let me break it down.... Have you ever caught yourself being unusually gossipy around those that love to share secrets? Or perhaps, you found yourself feeling a little (as they say in the USMC) "salty," when around someone who tends to hold onto anger or frustrations? This is you getting sucked into someone else's energy vortex. Awareness is key! If you catch yourself acting out someone else's emotions, simpl...